Saturday, June 25, 2011

Parabola

A parabola has a standard equation of

------(1)

or
------(2)

where (h,k) is the coordinate of the vertex (labeled as V in the graph).

For the parabola of type (1), the parabola is either opening upwards (p > 0) or downwards (p < 0). This type of parabola has a focus at F(h, k + p) and a directrix at y = k - p.


On the other hand, for the parabola of type (2), the parabola is either opening rightwards (p > 0) or leftwards (p < 0). This type of parabola has a focus at F(h + p, k) and a directrix at x = h - p.

Betty, Created with GeoGebra

3 comments:

  1. hello , I am a mathematics teacher from India.

    Have a look at my blog http://mathematicsbhilai.blogspot.com/

    Please link it with your blog.

    Sanjay Gulati

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is very interesting. I've put your link in my "Links" page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for a great space to explore --- I could spend hours here just immersing myself in the wonderful shapes and patterns mathematics creates for nature to follow

    ReplyDelete